How do I get ride of back acne?

Every now and again I get pretty severe cases of back acne. I am 29 years old and I never had this when I was a teenager, but has actually started more recently, maybe for about the last year or so. I have been exercising more and changing my diet to find something that works for me lately and think it may be related.
Exercise can definitely make acne worse, mostly because it increasing sweating and debris collection on the skin, which can lead to plugging of pores. As you probably know, acne occurs when pores become clogged with dead skin and other debris. These clogged pores can appear black (blackheads) or can collect pus and appear white (whiteheads). The mainstay of treating acne is to keep the skin clean and free of debris. This allows you to prevent the acne from occurring. Therefore daily use of a good body wash and gentle exfoliation will be very helpful. In addition to this, you may want to use an acne product containing either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. Both benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are comedonolytics, meaning they strip off the dead skin debris. They are found in numerous over the counter acne products and can be used daily. They also have some antibacterial properties, so they can reduce the possibility of getting infected acne spots. If these methods do not work, sometimes it is necessary to step up treatment using prescription creams or pills. You should talk to either your dermatologist or your primary care doctor to determine which treatment options might be right for you.

• Dr. Pamela Amador
    Dr. Pamela Amador MD
    85 Grand Canal Dr
    Miami, FL 33144
  • Dr. Michael Hamrock
    Dr. Michael Hamrock MD
    822 Boylston Street
    Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
  • Dr. Robin Snead
    Dr. Robin Snead MD
    20303 Crawford Ave
    Olympia Fields, IL 60461