search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do my gums bleed without brushing my teeth?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do my gums bleed without brushing my teeth?

Question

Randomly my gums would start to bleed a little even when im not brushing them. is this a sign of gingivitis?

Answer

It is possible that gingivitis could be the cause of your problem, but bleeding of the gums without any trauma could represent a potentially serious underlying disorder and should be evaluated by your primary care physician. Gingivitis more typically causes bleeding on the toothbrush with even minimal and light brushing. You should have your blood counts checked to make sure that you do not have a very low platelet count or another type of functional clotting disorder, which could predispose to easy bleeding and bruising. Bleeding gums can also be a sign of scurvy, which is a problem caused by a severe deficiency of vitamin C. This could be the cause of your symptoms if you follow a very poor diet low particularly low in citrus. If your blood tests look OK and your doctor thinks the symptoms are more likely caused by gingivitis, then you should seek further care from your dentist or a periodontist.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances