ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have allergies in the morning?

Question

Why do I have allergies in the morning?

I am a 19 year old girl with a recurring allergy problem in the mornings. I used to take pills for my allergies but wanted to be med free so I stopped taking them 3 years ago. I try to eat very healthy but I tend to eat sweets for breakfast and this usually sets off my allergies but sometimes I will just have cereal and that is enough to start up sneezing. After 11 am it has usually calmed down or gone away completely. Should I get back on the medication or is there another way out of my morning allergy rut?

Answer

This is interesting (but unfortunate) to notice that your allergies seem to coincide with eating sweets at breakfast. While that seems to be unusual, it would be worth altering your diet (such as by avoiding sweets) to see if your symptoms improve. If they do, then your problem is solved. It is more likely, however, that your allergies are worse in the morning because of all of the allergens (things that you are allergic to) that are in your pillow, bedding, and hair when you go to sleep. Most people don't wash their hair right before bed, and so all of the pollen and dust that their hair accumulates throughout the day is then collected in their bedding. Unless you change sheets and pillow cases regularly, these then become reservoirs with a high concentration of things that will make you sneeze. After you shower and wash those allergens off, or sneeze them out, things start to clear up and your day is better until it is night again. If you want to avoid medications, try washing your hair each night before bed, changing your bedding regularly, and trying to keep your room as dust free as possible. If this doesn't help, discuss with your allergist or ear-nose-and throat surgeon (aka otolaryngologist) about other options, including possibly just intermittent use of medications.