ZocdocAnswersWhy is my lower back still hurting?

Question

Why is my lower back still hurting?

I am a 40-year old male and when I was 37 years old, I had lower back surgery to remove two ruptured discs. I still have soreness in the area. I ice my back often and I take ibuprofen. My job requires me to stand and walk throughout the day. I also exercise four times a week on average. Should I make an appointment to see my doctor about this issue?

Answer

Lower back pain is a very common problem encountered in the outpatient setting and is a major reason why patients seek care with their doctors. Unfortunately, the treatments that exist for herniated (or ruptured) disks are not optimal. If you received surgery, then it likely means that you failed a treatment of conservative management involving medication and physical therapy. If you are still having pain following your surgery, then you should certainly discuss these issues with your doctor. Your doctor can do a thorough physical exam to help figure out the cause of your persistent pain, and he or she may elect to do further imaging with MRI to better characterize the painful area. You and your doctor can come up with a treatment plan to handle this pain, which may include a new medication regimen, physical therapy, a trial of steroid injections, or a repeated surgery if indicated and if all other treatments fail.