ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean when you have dark smelly urine?

Question

What does it mean when you have dark smelly urine?

I am 20 years old, for the last week I have had dark smelly urine. It also hurt when I peed but I drank cranberry juice and that seemed to help. I started getting sick nine days ago and it doesn't seem like it's going away anytime soon. My throat is also getting scratchy and I'm started to get a terrible cough.

Answer

It is possible that you had a urinary tract infection. This would explain the dark foul-smelling urine and the pain with urination. I cannot tell from the question if you are male or female, but if you are female then urinary tract infections are quite common and often spontaneously resolving, so if those symptoms are going away you may not need further followup. If you are male, you should see your doctor because urinary tract infections are less common in men. Regardless, if you still have symptoms you should also see your doctor. It is unlikely that the urine symptoms you experienced are related to your current sore throat and cough. This sounds much more like you are getting a cold. Most colds do not need to be evaluated by a doctor, and you can treat them with rest, plenty of fluids, and over the counter cold or pain medicines. If however the symptoms worsen, or if you have high fevers or difficulty keeping down food or liquids, you should seek more immediate medical attention. Don't hesitate to talk to your primary care doctor if you have more questions about what is going on or if the symptoms do not improve.