How do I prepare for speaking to a psychologist about why I think I may be depressed?

There are many things on my mind and I want to make sure I cover all the details in the session.
First, I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with depression. Speaking with a professional is a definite step in the right direction, as qualified council and, potentially, medical aid can help significantly. It is important to understand the difference between psychologists and psychiatrists. Psychologists are extremely helpful in understanding and potentially diagnosing concerns and issues that patients might have. They are somewhat limited, however, on the scope of medications and other aid that they can provide, as they do not have a medical degree. Psychiatrists, on the other hand, are able to write prescriptions that cover a broader scope of ailments. The difference could be significant with regards to the approach to your specific problems. As for how to prepare: one of the best things about visiting a mental health professional is that very little preparation is needed. What is important, however, is the need to be honest and open with your provider so that together you can understand and agree on a future course of action that will result in the best outcome. You should plan on discussing any previous medical or psychiatric illnesses you have had in the past, and how those were addressed as well. Good luck, and know that there are excellent treatment options that can help improve your quality of life.

Nearby Psychologists

Other Psychologists