Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Should I seek medical attention?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I seek medical attention?


I am an eighteen year old kid who has already dropped out of college and am more depressed and anxious then i have ever been in my life. I can't get out of bed in the morning, i have lost friends, and i can't find motivation to do anything. Should I seek proffessional help? and perhaps try medication?


You should absolutely seek care from your primary care physician. Your depressed mood and poor motivation to carry out your activities of daily living suggest that you are suffering from a major depressive disorder. This is a very common but serious medical condition that should be managed through a collaboration between you, your primary care doctor and a mental health expert. There are a number of medications that have been shown to be very effective in reducing the symptoms of depression. These medications are thought to regulate the neurotransmitter levels released and taken up by the nerve cells in your brain. Typically these medications take a few weeks before an effect can be seen, so if you are started on medications remember that you may not see an immediate effect.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.