Why can I not breathe out of my nose after fracturing it and it healing over 4 months ago?

I am a 17 year old male enrolled in high school basketball. At the first of last summer I was playing and had a player come down and hit the bridge of my nose. I went to the doctor and they said I had fractured my nose but it would not grow back crooked. Unfortunately now 4 months later I get really bad allergies and I can not breathe very well through my nose. I am taking a steriod to shrink the cartilage in my nose and it still bothers me.
Sorry to hear that you broke your nose, and even more sorry to hear that you now have nasal obstructive symptoms. Let me first say that nothing I can tell you in a forum setting can replace a visit to an ENTs office. There are multiple different reasons for nasal obstruction. In general you can think of things as being either a fixed or rigid obstruction (like scar tissue, nasal polyps, deviated septum, turbinate hypertrophy, etc...) or dynamic obstruction (i.e. obstruction that worsens with breathing such as collapse of the lateral nasal walls with inspiration). It is impossible to tell exactly what is going on in your case without being able to take a good history, and examine your nose. However it does sound like your doctor is starting with an appropriate step to help improve your nasal obstruction by putting you on what I presume is a nasal steroid. The steroid won't actually shrink the cartilage in your nose, as that is a rigid structure, but it will decongest some of the erectile tissue that is within your nose which may improve your breathing. With your history of nasal trauma, I would definitely recommend being evaluated by an ENT if you continue to have nasal obstructive symptoms despite treatment with a nasal steroid spray for at least a month (they can take a long time to work). Hope this helps.