Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Can continuously having "dizzy spells" be a sign of a serious underlying condition?"

ZocdocAnswersCan continuously having "dizzy spells" be a sign of a serious underlying condition?


I'm 26 years old and ever since I was around 16 I have been getting dizzy spells. They would only happen about once a month, which is why I have not seen a doctor, although, they seem to be getting more frequent. When I do get them they are pretty severe (not just feeling faint). The whole room appears to shake very fast and I have to lay down for about 15 minutes and they will go away.


Dizzy spells can be very concerning. I would strongly recommend that you see your primary care doctor at once. This can be a very serious condition, or it could be minor. You should have this evaluated in order to rule out serious conditions and hopefully treat anything before it becomes more of a trouble. There are various causes of "dizzy spells." The most concerning cause is if there is low blood pressure and therefore a relatively low amount of blood getting to the brain. This is now as presyncopal symptoms and can be a sign of serious infection or serious heart problems. Abnormal heart rhythms or abnormal heart muscle can cause your symptoms and are not unusual in your age group. Obviously any heart problem can be serious so this should be evaluated. Dizziness can also come from inner ear problems. There can also be brain problems such as small seizures. These both can be severe. You should have these symptoms evaluated by your primary care doctor. An investigation of your blood pressure, heart and a thorough examination of your brain and inner ear function is required. It is very important that you have this evaluated in the near future. If your symptoms worsen, go to the ED.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.