ZocdocAnswersHow can I effectively get rid of facial hair?

Question

How can I effectively get rid of facial hair?

I'm a 22 year old female. When I was 18, I noticed more peach fuzz type hair on my face with a couple of dark, thicker hairs in front of my ears. I used an electric razor trim the peach fuzz, but didn't run it along my skin. The hair has come back longer and darker in several areas. How can I best treat this?

Answer

The body has two different types of hair. The "peach fuzz" types of hairs that you have noticed cover the entire body and there is no practical way to remove them easily. Furthermore, they are not usually noticeable and not a cosmetic problem. However, the darker thicker hairs called terminal hairs are often a cosmetic concern for some people, and there are numerous ways to remove them. Hair removal methods can be divided into permanent and non-permanent solutions. For most people, nonpermanent solutions are sufficient. These can include plucking hairs with tweezers if there are only a few or shaving (it is a myth that shaving causes hairs to grow back thicker than before). Methods which last for a bit longer than these include waxing or depilatory creams; these give a good result for most people, although of course the hairs will eventually grow back. If you want a permanent solution, then you can thick about electrolytic hair removal or laser hair removal. Both of these techniques essentially burn out the hairs permanently and give excellent results. However, they can be prohibitively expensive, as each treatment is costly and usually multiple treatments are necessary in order to have the best results.