ZocdocAnswersWhy did I have only a little bit of spotting after missing my period?

Question

Why did I have only a little bit of spotting after missing my period?

I am a 26 year old female and do not typically have consistent periods. My cycles range anywhere from 29 to 32 days and are generally reasonably heavy. I was afraid I was pregnant because it seemed like a lot of time had passed between periods but during intercourse one night I began bleeding a lot. The next morning, all the bleeding had stopped and I only had light spotting days later.

Answer

It sounds like this was a big change for you in terms of your cycles. Any time you miss a period, or you are late on one for a couple weeks, there is always the possibility that you are pregnant. This is especially true if you have had unprotected intercourse and if you are not on any other type of contraception. A common story we hear is that someone missed a period, but then bled for one night and though that was the period coming late. Sometimes women that conceive have bleeding when the embryo implants into the uterus making it seem like the period has come. Another possibility is that you conceived and then you had a spontaneous miscarriage (this is how 1/3 of all pregnancies end). Finally, you may have just had your period later for another reason altogether. I suggest that you go out and buy a home pregnancy test at the grocery store. They are fairly cheap and very sensitive. If it is positive, then you should schedule an appointment with your OBGYN for a pregnancy consultation. If it is negative, then you should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for your feminine health. You can get an explanation for your missed period and make sure everything is okay.