How do you get a hernia in the leg?

I'm a 32 year old male and was recently told that I have a hernia in my leg. I have no idea how this happened. I am fairly active, but I do not remember injuring my self. Is this going to impact my active lifestyle in the future? What are the possibilities of how this happened and does anything need to be done about it?
Hernias are outpouching of the abdominal contents that occur into the groin. There are two main types of hernias, direct and indirect hernias. Indirect hernias are more common and involve tracking of abdominal contents down the inguinal canal toward the scrotum. Direct hernias involve a direct outpouching through a weakness in the abdominal muscles. Hernias are not generally causes by injury, rather they tend to be related to genetic and other factors which you cannot control. Unfortunately, they do tend to enlarge over time. This can be a problem because they can become progressively more uncomfortable, and also they increase the risk of intestinal strangulation, when some of the abdominal contents descend into the hernia and then get trapped there, cutting off their blood supply. In people with active lifestyles and who engage in heavy lifting, hernias are definitely a problem and tend to get worse over time. Therefore, you should see a surgeon about this problem, as it will likely need to be fixed surgically. Hernia repairs are very simple surgical procedures, and many people who have hernia repairs do not even need to spend the night in the hospital, assuming they do not have any other significant medical problems.

3161 N Rock Rd