Are there any approved anti-depressants for pregnant women?

I am a 27 year old mother who recently was put on an anti-depressant. The pharmacist said that this would not be safe if I was pregnant or planning to become pregnant. My doctor didn't tell me this. I am on Celexa, what would be a good anti-depressant to be on when I plan to have more children?
The main goal of treating depression in a pregnant woman is to both protect your fetus and to protect you by helping to keep your mood stable. Many studies have shown that a depressed mother is more harmful to the baby than the effects of drugs. Before becoming pregnant, you will need to have an honest discussion with your doctor about which medications and treatments are the best for you. Pregnant women will also benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy (a variation of psychotherapy, or talking to someone), as this will allow them to use less medication. All of the anti depressants in use will cross the placenta, and thus all of them will exert some effect on your fetus. The absolute effect will vary based on the type of medication that you are using, as well as how far along you are in the pregnancy. With most drugs, the greatest risk to the baby occurs during the first trimester, as the various organs are developing with the help of innumerable local chemicals and cell factors, which can occasionally be disrupted with medications. Celexa might be appropriate for you during pregnancy, but this would be important to discuss with your doctor even before you begin trying to become pregnant. In the mean time, make sure to use effective contraception as directed.

Other Psychiatrists