ZocdocAnswersWhy do I urinate so frequently?

Question

Why do I urinate so frequently?

I am 28 year old single male. I am an active person and have a healthy diet. I work as a dog walker and walk between 7 and 12 miles a day. So I drink a lot of water between 1.5 and 2 gallons a day. I have had this lifestyle for the last two years but in the last six months I have urinating between 10 and 15 times a day. Is there anything wrong with me or is this normal for the amount of liquid I take in.

Answer

At first glance, I think this is probably normal for the amount of liquid you take in. In order for you to urinate 1 and a half gallons of urine per day, you would probably need to urinate 10 times, assuming that you are going a normal amount each time, and going as soon as you have the urge. Frequent urination can be a problem with urine production, fluid consumption, and finally bladder function. The first question I ask is in regards to medications. Certain commonly prescribed blood pressure medications cause frequent urination. A condition called diabetes insipidus (different from the sugar diabetes) occurs when the kidney's can't keep any water so it all gets lost in the urine. This causes frequent urination and excessive thirst to replace the water. Finally, an enlarged prostate can produce the urge to urinate even if there is not a large amount of urine in the bladder. This would be unusual in someone your age. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Your doctor will likely want to get some routine urine tests which will rule out diabetes insipidus. Most likely, your doctor will say that you are fine, and you can continue your dog walking.