ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a dull throbbing headache?

Question

Why do I have a dull throbbing headache?

I am 22 year old male. Sometimes usually once a month I get a headache that could last a whole day. It is dull and pulsating. The pain isn't bad but it is there. Sometime it would be at the top of my head while other times to the side. Sometimes it happens after looking at a computer screen for a while and other times when I wake up.

Answer

Headaches are a common annoyance that can sometimes be an indicator of something serious. If you are experiences any changes in your ability to think, move, see, or having the worst headache of your life, you should speak to a doctor quickly. The common types of headaches are migraines, which are very common, tension headaches, and cluster headaches. Migraines affect women more than men, cause sensitivity to light, nausea, vomiting, and make people just want to remain still in a dark room. Tension headaches, which are what you seem to be describing, are a dull pressure that wraps around your head and can be associated with stress. They are usually mildly to moderately severe, and can be managed symptomatically. Cluster headaches come in clusters and then disappear for long periods of time. They often affect just one side of the head and have other symptoms on the same side, such as a runny nose or nasal stuffiness. Pure inhaled oxygen can sometimes help these to go away quickly. If you have any other symptoms, your headaches increase or become problematic in any way, please discuss your problem with your primary care doctor to make sure it is nothing more serious.