is there a non-addictive help for severe panic attacks?

I am a 45 year old male. one evening I ended up in the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack. extensive testing over those days came to the conclusion that I was suffering from severe panic attacks. my doctor insisted adavan was my only true help, highly addictive. is there a non-addictive help just as effective?
Ativan is part of a class of medications called benzodiazepines, which have a variety of effects. Ativan works to decrease anxiety and is often a treatment option for panic attacks. Although there is a potential for addiction and abuse of ativan, there are potential positive factors that you must discuss with your primary care doctor. A frank discussion with your primary care doctor including the risks and benefits of starting ativan as a treatment for panic attacks would be the first advisable step when deciding whether to start ativan or not. In terms of other options to treat the symptoms you are experiencing from the panic attacks, consider stress relieving activities such as stretching, deep breathing exercises, mediation, yoga, biofeedback, and therapy as options related to starting medications. There are other medications that can be taken for panic attacks outside of the benzo- class of medications, but it would be best to discuss all the options available with your primary care doctor who will best be able to evaluate your medical history and presenting symptoms and decide upon the appropriate treatment options available. He or she may also recommend further evaluation and referral to a specialist.