Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I sometimes expeirence a burning sensation on vatious parts of my body?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I sometimes expeirence a burning sensation on vatious parts of my body?


I am 22 years old and I have been experiencing odd burning type sensations on various parts of my body for the last two years.The burning usually only lasts a couple seconds but sometimes the burning will last several minutes at a time,and comes at various times throughout the day.My current doctor has no ideas other than it is probably nerve related,do you have any ideas?I currently do not receive any treatment and generally just wait until the feeling disappears.


I wonder where the burning sensations tend to appear? For example, if they were in hands or feet primarily that would be more consistent with a nerve issue. The types of nerve issues that can cause this type of sensation in those locations include diabetes (which causes progressive nerve damage), numerous medications, nutritional deficiencies (especially B vitamin deficiencies), and thyroid problems. If the burning areas occur instead on parts of your skin on your body but not really in your extremities, I would want to know if you notice any rash or dry skin? This is because a condition like eczema, which causes redness, itching, and dryness of the skin could theoretically causes burning or other strange sensations in the areas affected by the rash. However, if you never see anything on the skin, then this is much less likely. If neither of these two things are going on, then the sensations you have would fall into the category of "paresthesias" and you should have a good neurological examination by your doctor. Occasionally, there can be neurological disorders, particularly I am thinking of multiple sclerosis, which can present with these types of symptoms, although usually there are also other findings, although they may be subtle.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.