ZocdocAnswersWill a ganglion cyst intensify the symptoms of tendonitis in the wrist?

Question

Will a ganglion cyst intensify the symptoms of tendonitis in the wrist?

I am a 28 year old stay at home mom. Earlier this year I developed what I was told was tendonitis of the wrist after I fell on it and then about a month ago a lump developed and I was diagnosed with a ganglion cyst. Since the cyst developed I have been noticing an intense aching pain in my wrist that is almost common. Is it possible that the cyst has intensified my tendonitis symptoms and if so what can I do to alleviate the pain?

Answer

It is possible that your tendonitis has worsened, but this would not be specifically because of the ganglion cyst. It would be more likely to be because you have been performing some activity that aggravated it (such as vigorous housework, lifting children, etc). If this is the cases, then treating the tendonitis is relatively straightforward - rest, ice, perhaps a wrist brace to support the arm, and anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naprosyn. On the other hand a ganglion cyst may also, independently, cause pain. It doesn't usually cause pain but, if it grows large enough, it can start to be uncomfortable because it can be accidentally banged on things and it can also "catch" on the tendons in your wrist when you bend your wrist. If the pain is minimal you can control it with the same anti inflammatory medicines. However, if the pain becomes more persistent or more constant, you may want to talk to an orthopedic doctor about the possibility of removing fluid from the cyst to temporarily make it smaller or even removing the cysts completely with a small surgery. Unfortunately, if you do decide to have the surgery, there is a chance that the cyst will recur.