How is it possible that both of my pinky toes have too small of bones, offsetting my balance?

I am a 19 year old male college student and I have had this condition for my whole life. I have only been recently noticing that I have very bad balance and that I stumble around while casually strolling on my college campus. All I know about it is that it may potentially be a mutation of club foot mainly due to the fact that my older sister has severe club foot, and because of that, she cannot run nor jump because her knees may give out.
Your small or pinky toes do not play a significant role in the body's ability to maintain its balance, so I doubt that that is what is going on. However, if you are having significant problems with balance or coordination of your gait, I would suggest seeing your primary care doctor to make sure something serious is not going on. Some deformities of the foot can run in families, so it would be important for your doctor to take a look at your feet and make sure there is no obvious deformity. Furthermore, there are some very common nerve problems of the feet that can be subtle at first but worsen as you get older. Probably the most common of these is Charcot-Marie-Tooth, which is an inherited nerve problem which leads to weakness of the nerves in the feet, causing gradual deformity of the arches, hammer toes, and problems with walking. Your doctor will be able to assess the anatomy of your feet, the strength of your muscles, and also your coordination and neurological status. If they uncover any abnormalities they may decide that you need to be referred to a neurologist for further workup and treatment.

• Dr. Ruben Ruiz
    Dr. Ruben Ruiz MD
    3012 San Gabriel Blvd.
    Rosemead, CA 91770
  • Dr. Julien Dedier
    Dr. Julien Dedier MD
    725 Albany St
    Boston, MA 02118
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021