ZocdocAnswersEvery morning I wake up my feet are stiff and hurting, is there a reason for that?

Question

Every morning I wake up my feet are stiff and hurting, is there a reason for that?

I am a 27 year old female who does work on her feet all day. I have always been very active and hate sitting down for long person. I walk everyday and do a job that keep me in pretty good shape. My feet do not tend to hurt just in the mornings. I have tried different shoes and giving myself pedicures and foot rubs but they will feel good until I go to sleep and wake up.

Answer

The first thing to make certain of is that you do not have any swelling, redness, or warmth of your joints in your feet or anywhere else on your body. If you do, then these raise the possibility of a rheumatologic (joint) condition and you should talk about this with your primary care doctor. Assuming you do not, then the most likely possibility based on the description you give of the pain and your type of job (standing on your feet all day) is plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the connective tissue on the sole of the feet just in front of the main heel bone. It is essentially an over use injury of this part of the foot, and it is very common in people who are on their feet a lot. Treating plantar fasciitis includes use of anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naprosyn, regular use of shoes with excellent arch support (this often requires insertion of an orthotics arch support piece, and a number of stretching and strengthening exercises of the foot and lower leg. Your doctor will be able to give you a list of the appropriate exercises, or you can find them on the internet.