ZocdocAnswersWhat are good foods to eat when dealing with the stomach flu?

Question

What are good foods to eat when dealing with the stomach flu?

I have recently come down with the stomach flu and have had a difficult time keeping any type of solid food down? I have tried the traditional bland food such as bananas and toast, but have not had much luck. Are there any other types of food that would be better suited to eat that are both calming and easy on my stomach?

Answer

It is certainly difficult staying well-hydrated and well-nourished while dealing with a stomach virus. For fluids, I often recommend sports drinks such as Gatorade or Powerade (or low-carb versions if patients are diabetic) since they contain a mixture of electrolytes that are often depleted by the combination of not eating well, vomiting and diarrhea. As far as food goes, it sounds like you have already tried the recommended BRAT diet of bananas, rice, apples and toast. I often hear patients have success with light foods such as Jello or non-creamy soups. Occasionally, the carbonation of Gingerale can provide some relief to an upset stomach, so that may be worth trying as well. Please talk to your doctor if you have trouble digesting food for more than a short period of time.