How can I stop hair loss?

I'm a 27 year old with no history of baldness in my family, and my hair is thinning out very quickly. I have also noticed some white small acne like bumps on my head and also a very annoying itching.
Your hair loss may be from one of two different things. Your report of itching and hair loss together brings up the possibility of tinea capitis. This is a type of skin fungal infection that effects the scalp. Typically people get a spots of hair loss with visualization of the fungal infection along with the itching. It is quite distinct, but I can not tell from your description if this is what you have. Treatment for this is an oral anti-fungal medication (topical anti-fungal medications won't work). Another possibility is that you are experiencing androgenic alopecia, also known as male pattern baldness. The genes associated with this come from the mother's side, but they can be passed down without having bald relatives. The good news is that this type of baldness is becoming more treatable. Today many patients are trying finasteride (also known as Propecia) which is an anti-androgen medication that targets the mechanism of hair loss. Since your problem is anything but clear cut, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. He or she will be able to look at your hair very closely and determine the cause of your hair loss. No matter what the cause, I think there will be an option for you.

Nearby Dermatologists