ZocdocAnswersWhat are causes of chest pain during PMS?

Question

What are causes of chest pain during PMS?

I'm a 25 year old female in relatively good health. I rarely drink or smoke, and get about 60 minutes of exercise per week. Over the past year or so I have started to have chest pain at the onset of PMS. It is usually mild, but occasionally it is a brief stabbing pain. I have no shortness of breath or pain anywhere else during these episodes.

Answer

It is most likely that the pain you are experiencing is related to muscles in your chest wall. These muscles can become strained or fatigued, usually with exercise but also sometimes just by position during sleep or throughout the day. During PMS, your awareness of various sensations in your body is heightened, which might explain why you tend to notice the symptoms at that time. It is unlikely that they chest pain you are having is related to your heart. Nevertheless, you should know what concerning heart symptoms to watch out for and report these to your doctor if you experience any of them. They include chest pain or shortness of breath with exercise, palpitations or a sense that your heart is racing, or passing out or nearly passing out, especially with exercise. Also you should continue to do everything you can to lead a healthy lifestyle and protect your heart. This includes drinking alcohol only moderately and quitting smoking altogether. Also, most doctors would recommend increasing your exercise level to something closer to 60 minutes per day rather than just 60 minutes per week to best optimize your body's conditioning and to best protect your heart for the future.