Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Should I see an ob/gyn during a vaginal imbalance?"

ZocdocAnswersShould I see an ob/gyn during a vaginal imbalance?


I am 26 years old. I haven't seen an ob/gyn for two years. Sometimes I get itchy, with an alternate smell and discharge. It usually goes away by itself. I am not diagnosed with aany STIs.


It sounds like you are experiencing the occasional vaginal infection. These types of infections are common. Basically they can be divided into three different types, though others are possible. 1. Vaginal Candidiasis - This is your typical yeast infection. It occurs when the yeast Candida Albicans overgrows in the vagina because of antibiotics or diabetes, or sometimes for no reason at all. Symptoms are typically vaginal itching and redness with a white cottage cheese like discharge. 2. Bacterial Vaginosis - This is an overgrowth of the natural vaginal bacteria Gardnerella Vaginalis. It is not clear why this infection occurs, but sexual activity is sometimes associated as well as douching. The symptoms are vaginal itching, and discharge with a fishy like odor. 3. Trichomoniasis - This is an infection with the parasite Trichomonas Vaginalis. This is the one vaginal infection which can be sexually transmitted and sexual partners of those infected need to be treated as well. Signs and symptoms of the infection are similar to Bacterial Vaginosis. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for your feminine health. He or she can perform a pelvic exam and take a look at the discharge closely and determine what type of infection this is. From there you can get the right treatment.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.