ZocdocAnswersAre there reasons for a Rhinoplasty besides it being cosmetic?

Question

Are there reasons for a Rhinoplasty besides it being cosmetic?

I have a bridge on my nose that I feel makes my sinuses hurt more because of it.

Answer

While there are several reasons to have surgery on your nose, it is important to make sure that you will be having the appropriate procedure done by the right person. As you are complaining about your sinuses, it is quite possible that there is some other condition, possibly something medical rather than something surgical, that can be done to help you feel better. The best person to see for help with this issue is an Ear-Nose-and Throat surgeon (aka ENT aka Otolaryngologist), who is a specialist in both the sinuses, as well as surgery to help improve the cosmetic appearance of the nose. Now, addressing your original question: in general, a rhinoplasty by that name is usually performed for a purely cosmetic purpose, whether that be after an injury or to correct a congenital problem. There is another surgery called a septoplasty which addresses the septum (the middle part of the nose) that can sometimes be used to help with sinus problems or breathing issues, however. Again, either of these would be performed by a qualified ENT surgeon, who will be able to advise you about which procedure--if any--would give you the best functional results to help decrease your pain.