ZocdocAnswersDoes laser treatment really work for foot fungus?

Question

Does laser treatment really work for foot fungus?

I recently researched treatments for toe nail fungus and was interested if it really worked.

Answer

The answer to this question depends on what type of foot fungus you are referring to. Fungal infection of the skin of the foot (also called athletes foot) is very easily taken care of with topical anti-fungal medication. These include over the counter miconazole and termbinafine creams. If you are referring to onychomycosis (also known as toenail fungus), then this is a bit tougher to treat. There are topical treatments, but they have a mild success rate. There are oral medications that do work, and they are typically what we recommend first. Laser treatments for toenail fungus have variable success rates, but are an option. Depending on your budget, they may be prohibitively expensive. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with you your primary care physician. He or she can take a look at your foot infection and determine what mode of treatment is best for you. Most likely, your doctor will recommend the least invasive and least expensive method of treating your fungus. Thus if you have toe nail fungus, you may want to try topical anti-fungal medications followed by oral anti-fungals. You can skip these and find a doctor that does the laser surgeries, but this may be an expensive procedure. You want to make sure you have tried the other options first.