Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see about my sinus congestion?


I'm 29, good health. Exercise regular and on a strict diet. 6'2 170.


Sinus congestion is one of the commonest medical problems, and it can usually be treated with a simple combination of medications and other things you can do at home. Since it is so common, your primary care doctor will be very well qualified to treat the condition, and you should start there. Sinus congestion usually begins with mucus plugging of the passages that drain the sinuses into the nose. Very frequently, there are nasal allergies (allergic rhinitis) underlying the sinus congestion. Therefore the mainstay of sinus treatment is to keep the nasal passages cleaned out and un-inflamed. One very effective way to do this is through using nasal saline washes, such as the Nettipot and other commercially available wash systems. This nonmedicated approach cleans out mucus and contaminants from the nose and sinuses and can often dramatically reduce sinus congestion all on its own. Sometimes, however, additional medications are needed. These could include non-sedating antihistamine medications or nasal steroid sprays as well as, occasionally medications like montelukast which target inflammation in a different way. These medications are available by prescription, and therefore talk to your primary care doctor to confirm the diagnosis and to decide which medications you should start taking.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.