ZocdocAnswersMy nose bleeds almost everyday should i go to the doctor?

Question

My nose bleeds almost everyday should i go to the doctor?

I am an 18-year-old female. I don’t really know why I have these nose bleeds I just do. It started about two weeks ago when I was in biology class it began to bleed out of the blue; I thought it wasn’t a big deal till it started to happen everyday. Sometimes its a big blood clot sometimes they are little. I don’t know if it’s my health or just something else. What should I do?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you have been dealing with nose bleeds for the past couple of weeks. To get a truly thorough answer, you should see a physician to get an exam, and they can go more into depth about your history (for instance nasal trauma history, history of septal or sinus surgery, history of coagulopathy, etc...) However I can give you some information about nose bleeds that may help in the mean time. This is a topic that is impossible to cover completely in a forum, however the majority of nose bleeds occur in the anterior septum. The septum is the divider that goes down the middle of your nose. The lining of your nose is called mucosa which is very vascular (much more than the skin on your hands for example). In fact there is a location on your anterior septum called Little's area, or Kisselbach's plexus, which is a confluence of a few arteries in the nose that provide blood supply. What this means is that this area on the anterior septum is exceptionally vascular. Since this is on the anterior septum, it is susceptible to drying, and cracking. (Just like if your hands dry out and crack from washing dishes, etc). So if your nose dries and cracks it will bleed a significant amount. Then a good way to fix the problem is by using an over the counter moisturizing cream like aquaphor ointment. However if the nose bleeds persist, or if the bleeding is significant, I would see an ENT to make sure that there is not something else going on.