Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is the best way to get rid of plantar warts on the bottom of my feet?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to get rid of plantar warts on the bottom of my feet?


I am a 41 year old man and have many plantar warts on the bottom of my feet. There are too many to count, but fortunately they are only on my feet. I've tried over the counter medications but nothing seems to work. I'm afraid to go to the dermatologist, I know burning/freezing them off will be extremely painful. Is there anything I can do outside of having a dermatologist freeze them off?


There are many options that can be used to treat warts of all types and in all locations, but the best for plantar warts is often a choice between liquid nitrogen and salicylic acid. Usually, liquid nitrogen is preferred because it will give quick results and is generally well tolerated. If you are concerned about the pain, there are local numbing medications that can be used as well, some of which are often applied as a gel over the affected areas prior to using the liquid nitrogen. A dermatologist would be able to discuss all of this with you, and would be a good choice as plantar warts can be painful to walk on after they have been frozen. A dermatologist would be able to make the appropriate recommendations to improve your well being during the time that you are healing. Also, it is important to know that warts often recur because they are caused by a very common virus, the human papilloma virus, that is present almost everywhere and is readily passed from person to person. Avoid sharing nail tools or touching the warts yourself, as this can cause spread to you or others. A dermatologist will be able to discuss with you if there is a better option in your case than liquid nitrogen, although that will likely be his or her first recommendation.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.