ZocdocAnswerswhy do I have odd patches of raised skin all over me in different places?

Question

why do I have odd patches of raised skin all over me in different places?

I get these spots in different places all over me. they are usually red and have a layer of dead skin on top of them. they are relatively itchy, but not too extreme, I've tried a lot of over the counter creams, but they do not seem to be working.

Answer

You should definitely get this checked out! Your primary care doctor or a dermatologist should be able to tell you what is going on. Based on the description, this sounds a lot to me like psoriasis. Psoriasis is a common autoimmune condition of the skin in which bright red usually circular areas of skin are covered with a very characteristic white or silvery scale of dry, dead skin. They are typically quite itchy, and there may be other symptoms as well, such as changes in the nails and joint swelling or pain. Treatment of psoriasis depends on whether there is just skin changes or whether there is joint involvement that needs to be dealt with as well. If there is just skin involvement, then strong steroid creams prescribed by your doctor usually do the trick. Eczema, which is a condition in which excessive dryness of the skin leads to redness and itching, also can cause dry circular areas of skin like this, but your dermatologist will easily be able to tell the difference. Similarly, they will also rule out tinea capitis, which is a fungal infection of the skin that causes circular spots with dry scale and that is treated differently from eczema and psoriasis.