ZocdocAnswersMy daughter develops eczema on the insides of her arms, why is that?

Question

My daughter develops eczema on the insides of her arms, why is that?

My daughter is 6 years old. She has no common allergies to anything in particular, but Ive noticed when she worries she develops a rash on the inside of her arm. We know its eczema but what can I do to prevent her from this type of rash, and is it common for children to stress and develop eczema?

Answer

Eczema is a condition in which the skin is excessively dry due to lacking certain molecules that help the skin retain moisture. The result is dry, itching, red, and flaking skin. As you have noticed, stress often tends to make eczema worse. This is very common for most patients with eczema, who will also notice that fatigue, changes in the weather, and diet may have an effect. In addition to controlling these factors, there are many things you can do to help with the eczema. Having your daughter soak in a bathtub until her skin is soft and wrinkly helps rehydrate the skin, especially if you immediately apply a good skin moisturizer afterwards. The best moisturizers are thick, greasy ones like hydrolated petrolatum, as these are best at trapping in moisture. In addition to after bathing, the moisturizer should also be put on multiple other times throughout the day. When bathing, overly hot water and soap should be avoiding, as these can dry the skin. If these methods do not work, then you should talk to your pediatrician. This is because, sometimes, topical steroid creams are needed in order to get the more stubborn areas of eczema under good control.