Find doctors and make appointments online!

• Albany

Why does my throat hurt everytime I eat something?

I am 18 years old and 8 months pregnant. I've heard of the occasional heartburn during pregnancy however, this is a problem that I've had for several years. No matter what I eat, whether it's spicy, mild, sweet, etc. I always end up with extremely bad heartburn. It's worsened since the pregnancy, but are these typical signs of acid reflux? Or could it be something more serious? What type of doctor do I see about this problem?
Your symptoms could be due to worsening gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD is caused by acid produced in the stomach, which refluxes up into the lower part of the esophagus, causing irritation and heartburn. Usually certain foods are bigger triggers for the problem than others, including alcohol and spicy foods. GERD symptoms are often worsened during pregnancy; this happens due to elevated levels of progesterone that are in the circulation during pregnancy. Progesterone causes relaxation of the muscles, including the muscles that make up the sphincter between the lower esophagus and the stomach. As a result, it is much easier for acid to reflux up into the esophagus. You should talk to your Ob/Gyn doctor about these symptoms, as they are very common complaints of pregnant women. Fortunately, there are strong and effective medications that are available and safe to use in pregnancy.
(Dermatologist, Dentist, etc.)
(Zip, City, State)