ZocdocAnswersWhat can I take for a painful knee when jogging?

Question

What can I take for a painful knee when jogging?

I'm a 25 year old male. I jog atleast 5 times a week. I normally jog about a mile each time. Recently my left knee has been painful when jogging. I normally warm up before I begin. I have tried ice and heat, what can I take for the pain? I've been resting my knee for 3 days now.

Answer

I wonder how long the pain has been going on for? If it has been more than a few weeks, then you should definitely get it checked out by your primary care doctor or a sports medicine doctor to make sure there is not a serious injury. The mainstay of preventing and treating knee pain associated with exercise is to back off on the exercise. You should not "run through" the pain, and you should modify your training regimen to prevent pain. Often overtraining is a big problem, especially in new or casual runners. Depending on wear the pain is, there could be a few different common types of running-associated injury of your knee. The first is called patellofemoral pain syndrome ("runner's knee") and is the most common. It occurs when the cartilage in the knee cap rubs and breaks down, and it can be treated by rest and by quad strengthening exercises (taking care to avoid bending the knee). The second is iliotibial band syndrome, which is more likely to cause pain on the outer side of the knee, and can often be treated by stretching exercises. Talk to your personal trainer about these exercises and to your doctor if symptoms persist.