ZocdocAnswersWhy are my feet so dry?!

Question

Why are my feet so dry?!

I'm almost 20 years old and have been dealing with what i've been told is athlete's foot for countless years. It's not only inbetween the toes like normal, it's nasty dry, flaky heels. My doctor told me it's athlete's foot and I've tried every over the counter athlete's foot and other anti-fungal medications I could find. I've also tried moisturizers, balms, Dr. Scholl's micro filer and over night foot cream, no such luck, what can I do?!

Answer

Sorry to hear that you have been dealing with these symptoms for so long! Although it certainly could be athletes foot, I suggest going to see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist as soon as possible. This is because, if the treatments for athlete's foot are not working, you may need to consider alternative diagnoses and therapies. Athlete's foot is caused by several common fungi that live in the environment. It causes itching, scaling, and cracking and dryness of the skin of the soles of the feet. Often it can be treated with skin hygiene and with topical antifungal creams. However, sometimes stronger prescription creams or even oral antifungal medications are needed in more stubborn cases. Two problems are often confused with athlete's foot and need to be ruled out. One of these is eczema, which is an inflammation of the skin caused by dryness of the skin. It is treated differently than athletes foot, with steroid creams and with moisturizing creams. Similarly, psoriasis can sometimes appear on the feet, causing itching and peeling. It is also treated primarily with steroid creams. Talk to your doctor so that you can figure out what is going on and what treatments are best for you!