ZocdocAnswersWill imitrex interact with common blood pressure medications?

Question

Will imitrex interact with common blood pressure medications?

I get frequent migraines, and I've recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have imitrex for the head aches. Should I be worried that common high blood pressure medications will interact with my head ache remedy?

Answer

Sumatriptan (Imitrex) is a very specialized migraine headache medicine that acts to constrict blood vessels in the brain and reduces pain associated with them. It only works for migraine headaches. It is (for the most part), a very safe medicine with few serious side effects and interacts with only a few medications. Luckily for you, Imitrex does not interact with most commonly prescribed medications for high blood pressure. With that said, it should not be prescribed to people with certain cardiovascular conditions such as coronary artery disease. If you have coronary artery disease, then you should stop taking Imitrex and all the doctor that prescribed it to you. In addition, if you are on any anti-depressant medications, then you should also notify the doctor that prescribed the Imitrex. This is because at certain doses, a few of these medications can interact and cause adverse reactions. This question is a good one because you should always ask about any interactions between medications any time you are prescribed a new one. The doctor you should discuss this with is your primary care physician. He knows all the medications you are on and will be able to make sure that your are not taking any that interact dangerously. Good luck.