ZocdocAnswersWhat is RSV?

Question

What is RSV?

Hello, I am a 57 year old grandmother of four. A few days ago, my daughter took her ill 6 month old daughter to the pediatrician who diagnosed her with PSV. Frankly, I have never heard of PSV as I never heard it mentioned while I was raising my three children. What I would like to know is what exactly is it and is it a new disease? Thank you!

Answer

RSV stands for Respiratory Syncytial Virus; it is a very common virus that causes symptoms of lower respiratory tract infections. It is the number one cause of bronchiolitis (which is inflammation of the small airways in the lungs known as bronchioles) and pneumonia in babies less than 1 year old in this country. The virus is so common that nearly all children have been exposed to the virus by the time they reach 3 years of age. Most of these children will suffer only mild symptoms of the illness, but a minority will develop a more serious infection requiring supportive care in the hospital setting. This care typically includes oxygen and fluids, and may also include nebulizer treatments with hypertonic saline. The virus was first isolated from animals in the 1950s, and subsequent studies have shown it to be a major cause of viral infections in the younger population. If you have any concerns about the health of your grandchildren and fear that they may have contracted a respiratory illness such as RSV, you should call the child's pediatrician immediately and relay your questions and concerns.