Why are people allergic to fruits?

I'm a 37 year old mother of 3. Since I was young, late teens, I started having allergic reactions to foods I always ate when I was a child.
Allergies are complex reactions that are not completely understood. While we understand that your history of no allergies as a child, but then developing allergies to common foods later in life is less common, it is not unusual. It would be interesting to discuss your specific constellation of symptoms that make you call these reactions an allergy as well. In general, reactions to food due to other problems (such as lactose intolerance or reflux disease) are much more common than pure food allergies. Most allergies will have the typical symptoms that are signs of a reaction that is modulated by a certain part of your immune system, and will complain of itching, hives, and redness, with some patients also complaining that their throat is closing in (this would then become an emergency, and you should call 911 or go to the emergency department). Some patients will have this allergy to uncooked fruits and vegetables that have proteins on them that are similar to other common allergens. For example, people who are allergic to ragweed will often react to the ingestion of melons or bananas. For more specific information in your situation, and to determine what can best be done to manage your symptoms in a safe and healthy manner, please see your primary care doctor or an allergy specialist.

Nearby Allergists

Other Allergists