ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have constant recurring UTI's?

Question

Why do I have constant recurring UTI's?

I'm a 20 year old female and for the past year I have had recurring UTI's. They occur about once or twice a month and usually go away right after taking an AZO medication. They are very uncomfortable and can come and go whenever. My symptoms are usually a feeling of constantly needing to urinate/tingly feeling and none or hardly any urine actually coming out.

Answer

These symptoms you are experiencing do indeed sound a lot like a urinary tract infection, which typically causes pain with urination and the sensation of needing to urinate frequently. It is definitely time to see your doctor, because although a small number of urinary tract infections every year might be normal for some women, having multiple episodes per month is not. The first step would be to document that these are indeed infections, by having your doctor check your urine samples for signs of the infection. This is important because another condition, called interstitial cystitis, which is a chronic inflammation of the bladder, can mimic most of the symptoms of a urinary tract infection but is not in fact caused by an infection. If it turns out that you are having infections frequently, you will need to try to figure out why. Douching should be strictly avoiding, as this can predispose. Additionally, you may notice that the infections occur right after sexual intercourse, which is common. Voiding immediately after having sex can help, but sometimes women need to take a dose of antibiotics after having sex to avoid the infection. I recommend talking to your OB GYN or primary care doctor as soon as possible.