ZocdocAnswersWill drinking a few glasses of red wine a day have any complications with my clonazepam?

Question

Will drinking a few glasses of red wine a day have any complications with my clonazepam?

I have anxiety related issues along with gurd. So when I get anxious I it upsets my stomach making the acid reflux even worse. Because of this I am on zoloft, zegrid, atenolol, and clonazepam. I am getting ready to go on my honeymoon and wonder about drinking while on the clonazepam. I am 29 year old male.

Answer

Unfortunately, alcohol intake may not be advisable for you for a couple of reasons. I would recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor as this is obviously a complicated situation. Firstly, clonazepam is a benzodiazepine type medication. This means that is works by activating what we call the GABA receptor. This allow for relaxation and a calming or sedative effect. Likewise, alcohol works by activating the GABA receptor (along with other functions). Therefore consuming alcohol along with clonazepam runs one the risk of over activating the GABA receptor. I would recommend talking to your doctor. Obviously, it is important to balance the medical with the life needs. One might say that a single drink is similar to taking an extra clonazepam -- not recommended but not completely wrong. I would talk to your doctor to find the appropriate balance. Keep in mind that alcohol also worsens GERD (reflux disease). Alcohol causes loosening of the lower esophageal sphincter -- the muscle that prevents acid from coming up from the stomach to the esophagus (or food pipe). Alcohol will worsen this. Ultimately this will be a balance between the medical advice and the needs you have to enjoy a suitable advice. I would recommend talking to your doctor who knows you well and can provide the best advice.