ZocdocAnswersI have a pain when I urinate and sometimes when I bend forward. What is this?

Question

I have a pain when I urinate and sometimes when I bend forward. What is this?

I am a 22 year old male, with no history of STD's. When it happens the pain runs down the length of my urethra. It comes and goes. Is this a bladder or urinary tract infection?

Answer

Your symptoms could be due to either a urinary tract infection (UTI) or a sexually transmitted disease (STD). Simple urinary tract infections (meaning a bacterial infection of the urethra and bladder) are not common in young men that have not had any urologic procedures; it is thought that the longer length of the urethra compared to women is somewhat protective against infection. Another diagnosis to consider as a cause of painful urination is a STD; these are commonly diagnosed in the young sexually active population. In men, some infections like chlamydia may cause no symptoms. However, chlamydia and gonorrhea are common culprits identified in men with your complaints. These infections can cause painful urination and additionally may lead to testicular pain or mucusy discharge from the urethra. You should seek further consultation from your primary care doctor, who should be able to test your urine and make a diagnosis. These days, testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea does not require an uncomfortable urethral swab and can be done from a urine sample. In the meantime, in case this is a STD, it would be best to avoid having sex and possibly transmitting this to someone else until you are treated.