ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have allergies in the mornings?

Question

Why do I have allergies in the mornings?

I am a 19 year old girl with a recurring allergy problem in the mornings. I used to take pills for my allergies but wanted to be med free so I stopped taking them 3 years ago. I try to eat very healthy but I tend to eat sweets for breakfast and this usually sets off my allergies but sometimes I will just have cereal and that is enough to start up sneezing. Eating chocolate or cookies in the morning will leave me sneezing for the next six or so hours. Should I get back on the medication or is there another way out of my morning allergy rut?

Answer

You mention 2 different problems here that are important to differentiate. If your problem is early morning allergies, then you should know that many people have worse allergies in the mornings because their bedding is a collection site for allergens that are transferred from the unwashed hair each night. For that reason, changing the bedding regularly and showering before bed might help your problem. The remainder of your question is more complicated, however, and suggests that your sneezing seems to be related to what you are eating (i.e., the sweets and chocolates). That makes it seem more likely that you are describing some sort of food allergy, although you don't seem to consider that a possibility. Because of the possible confusion, try avoiding sweets in the morning for a few days and see if you have symptoms. If your symptoms resolve, then you can discuss your possible food allergy with your doctor. If your allergies remain, then you can have more confidence that your allergies are related to the environment, and can take the appropriate steps to overcome them, possibly including medications. Please speak to your primary care doctor or allergist for more information and possible allergy testing.