ZocdocAnswersWhy is my eyelid twitching?

Question

Why is my eyelid twitching?

I am a 21 year old college student, and for the past week, my upper left eyelid has been twitching when I blink. It will come and go, but the spasms will last for a few minutes or more at a time. I have not I noticed any symptoms of neurological issues. I do not take any medications regularly, with the exception of Benadryl at night for allergies.

Answer

So sorry that you have had to deal with this very common problem known in the medical community as blepharospasm. Usually, this is an idiopathic (meaning that there is no explanation, and it is not related to another medical problem) phenomena that will be worse in different people based on different factors, eg, worse with sun, squinting, fatigue, and other similar issues. You might also have some small spasms in some of the other fine muscles of your face or other body parts as well. Unless you have a personal or family history of other musculoskeletal or neurological problems, this is probably not something to worry about. The problem is how annoying it is in your personal life. Because of that, many people will try to treat it with different methods. While there are medications available, most people will choose to manage this problem (when it becomes debilitating) with botox injections, and possibly ultimately decide that they need to have surgery to permanently correct the spasms. If your problem is mild and can be corrected with more sleep or avoiding the triggers, see as doctor as needed. If your spasms become worse or are associated with other symptoms, please speak to your doctor who can refer you to an ear-nose-and throat surgeon (aka otolaryngologist), ophthalmologist, or facial plastic surgeon for more options.