Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Can take for blood pressure in place of Norvasc that will not cause swelling of my feet and legs?"

ZocdocAnswersCan take for blood pressure in place of Norvasc that will not cause swelling of my feet and legs?


I have been prescribed Norvasc 10mg once daily for blood pressure. It causes terrible swelling of my feet, ankles and legs which is probably aggravated by the fact that I sit all day at a desk. Since I only take it once a day I have shifted it to an evening dose before I go to bed which has helped somewhat. I am wondering if there is something I can take in place of Norvasc which does not have this side effect.


Unfortunately the swelling of the legs that you describe is a commonly reported side effect of the Norvasc medication. Fortunately, there are a number of other blood pressure medications to choose from with different side effect profiles that typically do not cause this type of swelling. You should talk with your doctor about the reason for choosing this specific medication. If you are on other blood pressure medications, then this class of drugs may be indicated to help get your pressure under control. If not, you can ask about the possibility of trying another class, such as a diuretic or ACE inhibitor. Diuretics such as hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) are usually the first-line medications prescribed for high blood pressure in otherwise healthy adults. These medications have been shown to reduce overall mortality and are fairly well-tolerated; they can cause increased urination at first but this typically resolves within a few weeks. ACE inhibitors such as lisinopril are also very good drugs for most people, as they have been shown to reduce blood pressure and protect against the development of chronic kidney disease. Either of these medications should be able to replace your current drug if no contraindications exist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.