We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Why do i bleed so much when the cut so small

I'm a 18 year old boy who has this thing where I bleed a lot even when the cuts are small. i started noticing this when i was playing soccer with my friends and we all cut up but i was just bleeding 2x more my friends even though my cuts were smaller?
This is an interesting problem to have noted, and there could be several reasons for this. First, it is important to ask your family if any of your relatives have had a similar problem. If so, try to find out what medical condition they had, and how it was treated. Also, you will want to address this issue with your primary care doctor so that they can do some lab studies. There are many common reasons for increased bleeding time. One of the most common is known as von Willenbrand's disease, which is a defect in the platelets and how they clump together. Platelets are very small particles in your blood that usually stick together when there is bleeding. Some other things that can make them not stick together include common medications like aspirin and ibuprofen, that make platelets not work as well. If you are taking any of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, they could play a role in this as well. There are other, less common, conditions that can make you bleed more also. Please talk to your doctor to see which, if any, you have. It is important to know in case you need surgery or have an injury in the future.

• Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309