Why is my hip hurting while I stand still, and my leg falling asleep?

Sometimes my hip hurts a lot while I walk. When I stand for long periods of time, my leg falls asleep. I can be so uncomfortable that I have to find a place to sit down. Then, sometimes I won't notice any problem for days. Why could this be? I am a runner--I run about 15 miles a week. I'm 20 years old in very good shape. I've had an MRI on my hip and seen doctors, but they've all said there's no problem. But sometimes the pain is just unbearable. I'll be out with my friends standing around, and my leg begins to feel numb. My hip will hurt so much--this dull, constant pain. I have to sit down or leave. If anyone's ever had hip problems, please help! Any stretches or tactics you use?
Some questions to consider with regards to the pain that you are having include have you noticed any radiating pain or numbness that travels down your leg? Does the pain and numbness worsen or improve depending on your position (i.e. sitting, standing or laying flat)? Do have you any decrease in range of motion in your hip? Do you have any improvement or worsening of pain when bending forward (i.e. bending over a cart for instance)? These questions, along with your medical history and clinical exam will be helpful for your primary care doctor to better ascertain what could be the underlying cause of these symptoms and the appropriate work up. This may include imaging studies and perhaps a referral to a specialist. It is possible that since the workup for anything going on in your hip did not reveal any pathology, it may be possible that you are having symptoms because of compression on the nerve roots exiting from your lower back. Sometimes these symptoms can mask themselves as pathology within the hip, and it is easy to miss these symptoms. Of course, it is improtant that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor as he or she will best be able to decide the appropriate work up.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. John Pearce
    Dr. John Pearce MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1015 East 32nd St.
    Austin, TX 78705
  • Dr. Joshua Fox
    Dr. Joshua Fox MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1015 East 32nd St.
    Austin, TX 78705
  • Dr. Adam Lazzarini
    Dr. Adam Lazzarini MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    19 Bradhurst Avenue
    Hawthorne, NY 10532