ZocdocAnswersWill carpal tunnel go away with sufficient rest?

Question

Will carpal tunnel go away with sufficient rest?

I am female, 26, and I have constant pain in my wrists and shoulders/neck. I am constantly typing on a keyboard, and I used to practice piano several hours a day. Might it be the position of my desk? Would carpal tunnel go away by itself if I lessen the usage of my wrists, or would I need to see a physician?

Answer

You should see your primary care doctor to discuss these issues, as they have been going on for quite some time. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which the median nerve, which is one of the nerves in the forearm, becomes pinched and compressed right where the wrist connects to the palm of the hand. This generally occurs from over use injury (like working on a keyboard). The symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include pain and numbness and tingling in the palm of the hand and the thumb, index, and middle fingers . Carpal tunnel syndrome does often respond to resting from the activities that provoke it. Alternatively, learning to do these activities in a way that does not provoke the inflammation is also important (such as using a wrist rest while using a keyboard). Additionally anti inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen or naprosyn can be helpful, as can wearing a wrist brace. Some of the symptoms you describe do not go along with carpal tunnel syndrome. For example, carpal tunnel syndrome does not cause pain in the shoulders and neck. This suggests that you have some overall problems with posture and positioning while at work. You primary care doctor can help you sort this out.