Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What's a good remedy for sweaty palms?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat's a good remedy for sweaty palms?


I'm a 23 year old female who has always had sweaty palms. My palms get so sweaty, I hate shaking peoples' hands. I've tried using baby powder, but it gets really messy. I've also tried natural oils, but my hands end up smelling bad. Is there something better that I can try? I'd prefer natural, but I'm at the point where I would take a pill I'm not taking any medications.


From your description it sounds like you have a condition called focal hyperhidrosis - which means you are having focal sweating for at least 6 months (in this case your palms). So there are several ways you can try treating this condition. The best advice would be to see your family doctor regarding this issue, as he/she can best manage it can keep a close eye on it for you. First, and probably the least invasive method, of treating this condition is to go to your local pharmacy or supermarket and buy some antiperspirant. Simply applying this to your hands can stop them from sweating as much, and some people find relief simply by doing this. If this doesn't work, there are prescription strength antiperspirants available as well - but you'd have to check with your family doctor before applying them. The one caveat is that you may get some skin irritation on your palms from applying this remedy. There is no proven pill to help fix this issue. There is a pill that seems to help with hyperhidrosis, however, there hasn't been any conclusive data or evidence to suggest it works. Other treatments include botox injections, and even application of a current of electricity to your palms. Needless to say, this needs to be evaluated by your doctor who can help you better dictate your treatment. Finally, in the worst case scenario, there are surgical procedures that can be performed to help with the condition.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.