Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why has my ear still feel clogged?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy has my ear still feel clogged?


I'm a 30 year old smoking male, that experienced an acute bronchitis virus. I now have a problem with my right nostril and ear. I continue to produce a thick yellowish mucus; that is easily blown from just my right nostril. And my ear seems to be clogged. When I tilt my head either way I feel a liquid shifting. I have gotten really concerned as it has been about a year now. Have been on a garlic regiment for an unrelated issue, but no other medicines.


It sounds like you have developed some chronic sinus involvement, which includes mucus plugging and drainage into the nose from the sinus spaces. The accompanying inflammation of the linings of the nose and throat can cause swelling shut of the eustachian tube, which drains fluid into the throat from the ear, leading to a sensation of fullness or being 'clogged' in the ear. You should see your primary care doctor. They will be able to diagnose this by looking in your nose, throat, and ears. If you do have eustachian tube dysfunction and chronic sinus problem, the absolutely most essential component if treating this is to stop smoking. Smoking impairs the ability of the linings of the sinuses, nose, and throat to fight off infections and leads to chronic inflammation and mucus plugging. Second, you should discuss with your doctor whether other treatments are needed. Sometimes, nasal irrigation with a saline solution (using the Nettipot or similar commercial system) is very helpful. Other times, use if a nasal steroid spray or an oral antihistamine medication can help to clear up the symptoms. Start by visiting your primary care doctor to explain the symptoms you have. They will help you decide on what treatment is best for your case.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.