ZocdocAnswersFor the pass month I have been having yellow stool with mucus, what is going on?

Question

For the pass month I have been having yellow stool with mucus, what is going on?

I'm 29 years old male, a month ago I had pain that lasted 30mins on my left side kidney area. After than happen I couldn't have a bowel movements for a couple of days, when I was finally able to pass stool, it was yellow and had mucus on it. What is Wrong?

Answer

The symptoms that you are describing are vague, and so it is hard to tell what is going on. Several other important questions to answer would be: Has the pain recurred? Do you have a history of pain like this or other abdominal pain? Are you constipated? Do you have any other medical problems? I would suggest talking to your primary care doctor to sort things out. Constipation would be one likely possibility. In severe constipation, fecal material builds up and becomes hard and difficult to pass. When this occurs, sometimes liquid mucus leaks out around the hard stool (this is called "overflow diarrhea"). Normalizing the bowel movements will usually resolve the problem. If the pain was severe or has continued to recur, or if you have any other concerning symptoms such as persistent nausea and vomiting, or blood in the bowel movements, or a black, tarry look to the bowel movements, or fever, I would be concerned about a more serious abdominal problem, which would require immediate evaluation by an emergency room or your doctor. However, in the absence of these red flags, I think you can safely schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss the symptoms.