Why do I have trouble falling asleep?

I am a 25 year old female and have trouble falling asleep at night. I have tried taking over the counter sleep medication, but it has not helped. I have tried prescription Ambien as well, but don't want to get addicted to the medication. Should I talk to my doctor about other medications available? I have also heard yoga helps, but have not tried that either.
In the young adult population, stress or anxiety is an often-diagnosed cause of insomnia. If you feel stressed out as a result of school or work or can't stop worrying about your daily routine or tasks that need to be completed, then this can certainly translate into difficulty sleeping. If this is the case, then finding healthy ways to cope with your stressors can help lead to better sleep. It is also important to consider the effects of any external substances on sleep; one such substance is caffeine. Even a cup of coffee in the early afternoon can cause the mind to race when it is time to sleep. Cigarettes can have the same effect as nicotine is a stimulant to the body. You should certainly talk to your doctor about the sleep problems you are having. You are correct in that Ambien is not a recommended long-term solution in most cases. If stress or anxiety is a problem, then your doctor can help address these issues with either counseling or other types of targeted medication.